Wedding Wine FAQ's
Need help on wedding wine? Check out our wedding wine FAQ's!!
1) HOW MUCH WINE DO I NEED?
- Whilst individual guest's needs vary (!!) it pretty much averages out to about half a bottle per head, as a rough guide. That's 2 very generous wine glasses worth at the meal (think home pour)!
In terms of sparkling wine, you get around 5-6 glasses per bottle. This means that if you're doing sparkling on arrival and also a toast, you're looking at 2 bottles per 5 guests, etc. If it's just arrival then it's 1 bottle per 5 guests.
2) WHAT IS THE CORRECT BALANCE OF RED TO WHITE WINE?
- Again this depends on your guests and the time of year. The simplest rule of thumb is 50:50 red:white. If it's mid Summer maybe push to 45:55 red:white and mid Winter 55:45 red:white, but in our experience we wouldn't go much outside of these guidelines.
3) HOW IMPORTANT IS WINE TO THE BIG DAY
- Whilst it's perfectly natural for the bride to think of all the physical parts of the wedding (flowers, venue, dresses, etc), if you question any guest who's just been to a wedding, the only positive or negative remark they tend to give is on the wine and/or food! And why wouldn't it be; when you go out for a day/night out involving a meal - that's what's important!! Don't underestimate the power of good wine and food nor the embarrassment of serving anything that's sub-par.
4) WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM A WINE SUPPLIER?
a) HONESTY - if they suggest more than the above in terms of quantity - they only care about sales!
b) SOME FORM OF TASTING SESSION - try before you buy!!! It's important to know what you're getting before you buy. If the wine supplier is interested in your business they'll offer some form of tasting session or a discount on sample bottles. Be warned that they will be unlikely to provide free bottles (You wouldn't believe the amount of fraudulent claimants)!
In our case we chat about your personal preferences, advise on what you might like, and then narrow it down to 4 bottles that would suit best. We then open the 4, taste, and only ask that you pay for the 2 you like the best to take home and try with friends, We then use the other 2 as tasters in the shop. Everyone's a winner.
c) A DISCOUNT ON THE PURCHASE - you're buying a large one off amount of wine, hence you deserve a discount. We provide a 10% discount on wedding orders and if it's a particularly large wedding (300+) we might go even further.
d) FREE DELIVERY? - some suppliers will offer free delivery to the venue. This depends on the distance to the venue and also the level of wine purchased. Our policy is free delivery within the County for weddings of 200 people or more. Other suppliers will have their own policy and it's worth checking!
e) FREE RETURNS SERVICE - this is very important. Whilst it's fairly accurate to project the amount of wine needed using the above rules, you still don't want to be stuck with unopened wine! Any wine supplier should offer to take back and refund any wines that are UNOPENED AND IN A SALEABLE STATE! Please note - they won't take back open bottles!